Our Travels

February 12, 2012

In case you were wondering...

having 2 kids get their tonsils and adenoids out at the same time is not fun!  There just wasn't enough of me to go around yesterday (on Tuesday... it's taken me awhile to complete this posting.

So I'm skipping a few entries until later since I'm a bit behind so stay tuned for pics from Disney Land, Pacific Beach, Vegas, and the rest of our California visit.

While we were in California we took Van to the Dr's because his snot was really foul smelling and he seems to have a never ending cold plus he snores extremely loud with occasional sleep apnea.  YIKES!  We suspected mild allergies, maybe to dogs.  The Dr confirmed the allergy suspicion but also thought due to the snoring and sleep apnea that his tonsils needed to come out.  I made an appointment with an ENT doctor in Billings since while Eric does training for work the boys and I will be hanging out there again.  The ENT confirmed that Van's tonsils needed to come up as sleep apnea in children is totally unacceptable, even only once a night. After a casual mention of both kids snoring and having sleep apnea they were both signed up for surgery... the next day!  Yikes!

Since they couldn't eat or drink before their surgeries I kept them up late so I could just throw them in the car at 7:30 in hopes of them not whining or crying about food and juice.  Shockingly, it worked!  My Gramma Pat came with us so I could have an extra set of hands.  I'm so glad she did because there just wasn't enough of me to go around.  Van went first then Keenan.  The oral versed knocked him out fairly quickly and he just went to sleep, Keenan on the other hand was playing games on the tablet when it finally kicked in and he just looked drunk!  I had about 20 minutes to cuddle with Van until Keenan came out. He of course needed me too.  Everytime Van fell asleep I handed him off to Gramma Pat. When he woke up it was back on half of my lap with Keenan.

It was completely heart breaking, they both kept crying and Keenan kept asking why the back of his mouth hurt so bad when I had told him the Dr would give him medicine so it wouldn't hurt.  Keenan's little voice was all scratchy, small and sounded so mournful, I felt terrible!  Keenan perked up a lot quicker then Van, he had lots of popsicles and sherbet while at the surgery center.  His Aunty Christy works at the place we were but unfortunately she wasn't there as she was stuck on jury duty.  It did make him feel better that the nurses taking care of him were Aunty Christy's friends!

We had to stay until 2 or 3 in the afternoon because Van just didn't want to take a drink.  That's all he needed to do, just take a drink of anything!  For the next few days Van only wanted to be held by me while Keenan was fairly content watching cartoons.  Keenan seems fine and has been playing with his cousins but it has taken Van a bit longer.  The poor little dude just doesn't want to eat much still but at least he's drinking juice and gatorade.

Hopefully all is on the mend and the worst of it is behind us!  I'm so sad that I forgot my camera so I wasn't able to get of pictures of them in their little hospitals gowns.


jsully21 said...

Holy cow...what an ordeal! Good luck with Van; I hope he feels better soon.

Laura Olson said...

Poor little guys. I'm glad to hear they are on the mend. And poor you-props that you got through both surgeries at the same time!