Our Travels

October 16, 2012

Van's really bad day :(

Today started out as a typical Monday morning; trying to get coffee in myself, kids fed and Keenan to the bus on time.  After those were all accomplished I headed up to my sister's so we could trade off between running and watching each other's kids.  Later after the runs as I was chatting with my sister and sis-in-law we heard Van scream and then he fell to the floor.  At first I thought he just tripped, then I saw all the blood and his bottom lip was gaping open.  OMG!  OMG! I went into mommy panic mode...

My sis-in-law immediately volunteered to drive us in to ER for stitches. On the way between the screaming I noticed there were several lacerations and it FINALLY dawned on me that he had been near the dog and this was the result of a dog bite!  The ride to the ER felt like forever  :(  By the time we got there Van had calmed down and had his binky sticking out the side of his mouth, it must have hurt to suck on it because of his lips but he insisted on having it.  Every time a new person needed to see his bite the screaming started back up :(  We both cried...

The bottom lip had a few areas that went all the way through and required a few deep stitches before the surface ones.  About 15 or so stitches and 3 hours later we were finally done.  THANK GOODNESS for drugs, Van got a little something-something that made him nice and drowsy so he was cooperative. Also thankful my sis-in-law was there for the ride, moral support and to get our prescriptions!  THANKS!

I couldn't get before pictures... it just made me cry every time I looked at his gaping lip and all the blood...

I did however get an after picture once I cleaned up all the blood.  He was still drunk on his drugs...

Once I got him home he cheered up, he wanted to watch cartoons on the ipad and drink juice.  He even ate some dinner ran around.

On a side note:  The ER doctor asked if we knew if the dog was up to date on his rabies shots.  I told him I wasn't sure but Van was!  He thought this was strange and very uncommon, so I had to explain to him about some of the joys of living overseas :)   Tunis has a lot of stray dogs so it's recommended that everyone get the rabies series, then if you do get bit you don't have to have the nasty serum injection.

The boys are both asleep as I type this up and I don't think my heart rate nor blood pressure have come down yet...  I can't believe how hard and stressful it is to see my baby hurt.  I felt so helpless, I just wanted to make his pain go away...



1 comment:

Laura Olson said...

Poor, poor little guy. I'm so sorry for Van and for you. It is terrible to see your kids sick or hurt.