Our Travels

July 29, 2012

The North Africa American Cemetery

At the 27-acre North Africa American Cemetery and Memorial in Tunisia rest 2,841 of our military dead, their headstones set in straight lines subdivided into nine rectangular plots by wide paths, with decorative pools at their intersections. Along the southeast edge of the burial area, bordering the tree-lined terrace leading to the memorial is the Wall of the Missing. On this wall 3,724 names are engraved. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified. Most honored here lost their lives in World War II in military activities ranging from North Africa to the Persian Gulf.

The chapel and the memorial court, which contain large maps in mosaic and ceramic depicting the operations and supply activities of American forces across Africa to the Persian Gulf, were designed to harmonize with local architecture. The chapel interior is decorated with polished marble, flags and sculpture. Taken from  http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/na.php

The North Africa American Cemetery is a beautiful and peaceful place to visit.  I've been here a few times before but I've always managed to forget my camera.  As I walked along the graves I couldn't help but think about how young most of these men were and all of their sad mama's...Made me want to go home and hug my boys tight.

 Unidentified soldier.
 The inside of the chapel

 The wall of the missing
As I was walking along the wall of the missing my own Maiden name caught my eye. 
 A few of the Mosaic maps




1 comment:

Laura Olson said...

Beautiful photos. It does look like a peaceful place to remember our soldiers. Let's pray and work so our own generation of children can escape the horrors of war.